Five Unusual & Useful Ways To Use Those Silica Packets [VIDEO]
Stop! Before you throw that little tiny silica packet in the trash can it may be more useful thank you think. Here are five ways to use them in your daily life.
WHAT ARE THOSE SILICA PACKETS ANYWAY?
Silica SUCKS! No really, it is a drying agent that is used to keep water or moisture out of different items including food, clothing, electronics, and more. I have seen it most in a beef jerky packet when I used to get beef jerky and never understood why they put them in there.
HERE ARE FIVE SUPER COOL AND USEFUL THINGS TO DO WITH SILICA
Most of us have to admit we have probably taken one look at the silica packets and tossed them in the trash. I have even told my kids they were poison and not to touch them. However, they are super useful and need to be given their moment to shine or adsorb.
- Save your electronics-we've all dropped our phone or iPad in water or gotten it wet. These little packets are perfect for helping to dry them out efficiently. All you have to do is take out the battery or sim card and then put the packets with the device in a sealed container for at least two days.
- Silica can help your home smell good-this one is a game changer. You can actually add essential oils to the silica beads and place them in a dish in your home and it will release the fragrance.
- Protect Your Metal-If you or someone you know has lots of tools place silica packets in a toolbox to keep any type of moisture from causing your tools to rust.
- Keep your pet's food dry-Place the packets inside the dog or cat food bin or bag to keep it from getting wet or mushy.
- Preserve your clothing-place a packet or two in the pockets of your pants, jackets, inside your shoes, or purses and it keeps your clothes from sweating or taking on moisture and ruining.
BONUS USE: Did you know that silica is reusable? After they have done the job to protect or preserve or keep moisture away you can recharge them.
WHAT YOU NEED
Microwave safe container