Warm and Creamy Herbed Tomato Soup with Croutons
What We're Cooking This Weekend: Herbed Tomato Soup with Croutons
WHY WE LOVE IT: This recipe is easy to make and won't take you much time. The beans make the soup high in protein and healthy natural fiber.
TOTAL INGREDIENTS: 11
MAKE IT FOR: A warm cozy night or freeze it for the next day and eat it for lunch at work.
4 to 6 servings
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 to 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-28-ounce can crushed tomatoes or 3 cups chopped fresh tomatoes or tomato puree
- 1-14-ounce can of cannellini or navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 10 basil leaves
- 2 Tablespoons fresh thyme
- Sea or Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- Red pepper flakes
- Ciabatta or Italian bread slices with rosemary, cubed and toasted
- In a medium stockpot add a drizzle of oil over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and sauté for a few minutes until fragrant.
- Add in tomatoes, beans, vegetable broth, salt, and pepper and mix thoroughly. Simmer for 15 minutes. Add fresh basil, thyme, and red pepper flakes.
- Using immersion blender (or regular blender, in small batches), process until desired consistency. Serve with toasted croutons and/or a sprig of fresh herb floating on top.