Owensboro Health Offering Free Sports Physicals During May & June 2023
Middle and high school student-athletes participating in fall sports are invited to receive a free sports physical with Owensboro Health Orthopedics and Sports Medicine. Here's how to make your reservation.
When I was a student-athlete, although I disliked getting a sports physical, I knew it was the cost associated with playing sports. It was a requirement for all incoming middle and high school athletes every year. It was done to see if we could safely engage in sports. After the physical, the physician needs to report to the Kentucky High School Athletic Association (KHSAA) if you're medically eligible for all sports without restriction or only medically eligible for certain sports. Or, not medically eligible pending further evaluation, or not medically eligible for any sports. The goal is to always be medically eligible for all sports without restriction. Just be sure your up-to-date completed physical is done before July 1st, 2023, so it will be valid throughout the season. What are you waiting for? You can get a free sports physical with Owensboro Health Orthopedics and Sports Medicine!
OWENSBORO HEALTH FREE SPORTS PHYSICALS
The Kentucky High School Athletic Association require student-athletes to have a physical before they can play sports at school. According to KidsHealth, there are two main parts to a sports physical, the student's medical history, and a physical exam.
During the physical exam, the doctor will usually:
- record your height and weight
- check your blood pressure and pulse (heart rate and rhythm)
- test your vision
- check your heart and lungs
- examine your muscles, bones, and joints
The medical history form includes questions about:
- medical problems that run in the family
- medical problems and illnesses that you have, such as asthma, diabetes, or COVID-19
- previous hospitalizations or surgeries
- allergies (to insect bites, for example)
- past injuries (including concussions, sprains, or broken bones)
- whether you've ever passed out, felt dizzy, had chest pain, or had trouble breathing during exercise
- any medicines that you are taking (including over-the-counter medications, dietary supplements, and prescription medications)
Now it's time to get your free sports physical from Owensboro Health Orthopedics and Sports Medicine. They're making it easy! During May and June, just stop by Owensboro Health between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, or call 270-417-7940 to make an appointment.
Owensboro Health Medical Group Orthopedics & Sports Medicine
1301 Pleasant Valley Rd Suite 500B
Owensboro, KY 42303