Indiana Residents: Don’t Answer Calls From These Area Codes
We all get a lot of calls from numbers that we don't recognize. Most simply don't answer. However, if you receive a call from one of these area codes, you definitely don't want to answer the phone.
How many times a week do you think that you get a scam call on your phone? There is always someone out there trying to trick you into giving them some money. These scammers have gotten very creative throughout the years. While there are countless ways in which people can scam you out of money. It's hard to not only keep up with them, but it has gotten even harder to decipher what is legit and what is a scam.
There's a long list of ways people will try to scam you over the phone. Over the years, scammers have gotten really good at tricking people. They are able to alter the information that you see on your phone when a call comes in. This technique, known as "spoofing," is the reason that some unsuspecting individuals fall victim to common scams. Most phone providers will give you a heads-up when you are getting a call from a suspected scammer by displaying "Scam Likely" underneath the number when you receive a call. Even then, that doesn't mean that it can detect all scam calls. So what's something that you can look out for to help identify scammers?
Don't Answer Calls From These Area Codes!
While it's hard to identify sometimes if a call you receive is a scam call, the good news is that scams operate in many known area codes, so you can avoid being the next victim simply by watching for known scam area codes. Go Banking Rates listed a handful of area codes that Hoosiers should absolutely not answer when they receive a call. Here are 19 area codes you should never answer if you don’t know who’s on the other end of the line, according to Go Banking Rates:
- 216 is the area code for Cleveland, Ohio.
- 232 is the area code for Sierra Leone.
- 268 is the area code for Antigua and Barbuda.
- 284 is the area code for the British Virgin Islands.
- 332 is an area code for New York City.
- 347 is an area code for New York City.
- 469 is the area code for Dallas, Texas.
- 473 is the area code for Grenada, Carriacou and Petite Martinique.
- 649 is the area code for the Turks and Caicos Islands.
- 646 is the area code for Manhattan.
- 657 is the area code for La Palma, California.
- 664 is the area code for Montserrat.
- 712 is the area code for Western Iowa.
- 218 is an area code for northern Minnesota.
- 767 is the area code for the Commonwealth of Dominica.
- 809, 829, 849 are area codes associated with the Dominican Republic.
- 876 is the area code for Jamaica.
Now that you know that piece of information, keep it handy the next time you get a call from a number that you don't recognize. If you're getting way too many scam calls, click here to find out how to make them stop.