Indiana’s Top 10 Most Stolen Cars: Is Yours on the List?
In Indiana, like many other states, vehicle theft is a major issue. According to the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB) and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), vehicle theft has been increasing in recent years, with over one million vehicles reported stolen last year - a significant seven percent increase from the previous year.
Keep reading to learn the 10 most stolen vehicles in Indiana.
One Every 32 Seconds
Vehicle theft is a concerning issue that impacts millions of Americans each and every year, including those in Indiana. According to NICB & NHTSA, more than one million vehicles were stolen last year, marking a seven percent increase compared to the previous year. This alarming trend indicates the highest vehicle theft numbers in over a decade, with approximately one motor vehicle stolen every 32 seconds.
Prevention Goes a Long Way
The impact of vehicle theft goes beyond financial loss; it disrupts lives and undermines community safety. David J. Glawe, President and CEO of NICB, emphasized the emotional toll it takes on vehicle owners, especially those who heavily rely on their cars for work or daily activities. Ann Carlson, NHTSA Chief Counsel, highlighted that vehicle theft affects the livelihood of Americans across the country, costing billions of dollars annually. Raising awareness about vehicle security and implementing preventative measures is crucial to deterring theft.
Keeping Your Vehicle Safe
NICB and NHTSA recommend the following tips to protect your vehicle from theft:
- Park in well-lit areas: Thieves prefer dark and isolated spots, so parking in well-lit areas reduces the risk of theft.
- Close and lock all windows and doors: Even if you are stepping away for a moment, ensure all windows and doors are securely closed and locked.
- Hide valuables: Keep valuable items out of sight, either in the glove box or trunk, to avoid tempting thieves.
- Avoid leaving keys in your vehicle: Leaving keys in the car is an open invitation for thieves.
- Do not leave your vehicle running unattended: Never leave your vehicle running and unattended, even for a short period.
If your vehicle is stolen, take immediate action by reporting it to law enforcement and your insurer. Swift reporting increases the chances of recovery.
Top 10 Most Stolen Vehicles in Indiana
Indiana has experienced its share of stolen vehicles, and the top ten most stolen vehicles in the state include:
- Nissan Altima 2020
- Dodge Charger 2010
- Chevrolet Equinox 2011
- Ford Fusion 2014
- Toyota Camry 2021
- Dodge Pick-Up (Full Size) 2001
- Chevrolet Impala 2008
- Chevrolet Malibu 2016
- Chevrolet Pick-Up (Full Size) 1999
- Ford Pick-Up (Full Size) 2004
Being vigilant and taking the necessary precautions can significantly reduce the risk of falling victim to car theft. Remember, Vehicle Theft Prevention Month is an opportunity to prioritize the security of your vehicle and safeguard your peace of mind on the roads of Indiana.